Sunday, January 13, 2013

Internship gives insight into China’s love of luxury goods


How times have changed!

It wasn’t so long ago that life in China was a harsh place to live and probably as colourful as the smog that blankets its major cities but with the opening up of the economy and increasing wealth of the country’s middle class the changes have been massive.

Now China is the biggest consumer of Louis Vuitton and by 2020 and according to a CLSA report (a brokerage and investment firm) this will rise to 19%.

So I was quite excited my Internship placement this week with an Importer and Distributor of Spanish food and wine. While the company doesn’t have the same profile as Louis Vuitton or Burberry, it aims to satisfy China’s appetite for high end goods and food/wine from overseas.

All week I have been reviewing and editing a lot of documents and doing market research. I’ve especially enjoyed the editing and making the documents sound a little more “Western” sounding. The market research showed me how keen China is to trade with the rest of the world and it been interesting to find out more about cosmopolitan Shanghai as well as how much the Chinese want high quality items from The West, especially food and wine.

But what I’ve found really interesting (among many other things) about working in China is that what people wear to work isn’t as formal as I thought it would be. People wear jeans, ugg boots and hoodies but none of the suits that would be common in Australia and the UK. But as I’m in the shop I get to dress up, which I don't mind at all.     


But outside of work there had been Karaoke night which was fun. The weekend allowed me to visit the Shanghai Museum of Contemporary Art as well as visit to couple of the sights of Shanghai and few bars. On Sunday afternoon we went to see a movie because a trip to China wouldn’t be complete without seeing a Jakki Chan movie, would it?    




The Bund

No comments:

Post a Comment