Sunday, January 20, 2013

Making the most of living in Shanghai


Knowing that this was there was not much time left in China I had to plan my time so I could do everything that I want to do in Shanghai before I had to leave.


Apart from work and the usual tasks involving more researching importers and exporters, editing marketing documents/press releases and developing ideas for the VIP Wine Club, I knew I wanted to visit the famous Shanghai JZ Club.

I didn’t know what to expect but if it was that “pumped vibe” maybe I had picked the wrong night because I got the whole place to myself. It was still cool to listen to the group that was playing. Who know what they were called but they were cool; there were a DJ, a Sax player and a guy on a classical Chinese instrument, all just jamming together. It was great!!

Soon enough it was weekend so I visited the Tianzifang area near my apartment. With its tiny laneways and lots cool places to hang I had to linger there awhile on the way home. There was this German bar that does this wonderful Mulled Wine, I can never find it but I have to rely on the smell of its hot spicy wine to locate it.






Saturday was a shopping day with the girls. First of all we went to the Fabric Market where I got measured up for a pair of pants and a jacket, all for under $100AU. Later we visited the fake market and this antique market. In between there we ate a lot and tried more of the great local food and I can tell you now that after eating out for just a couple of dollars per meal it will be hard to go home and start cooking again.

On Sunday, I squeezed in a visit to the museum. I must look like a push over because I keep on getting asked if I want to attend a tea ceremony but being scam I hung on to my bag I said no!!!

This scam often involves being approached by two locals asking if you need help to find your way or if you can take their photo. They have this story about one of them being from out of town and is being shown around the sights Shanghai and would you like to join them for a traditional tea ceremony?  

Just say no and smile because you’ve just avoided paying $100 for a cup of tea.

But the museum was great. It was full of great Chinese treasures including calligraphy, china, jade carvings and traditional dresses.
    
The weekend finished with an outing to a Jazz place on The Bund and an early night in preparation for another week of exploring Shanghai.



No comments:

Post a Comment