Wednesday, November 4, 2009

An Intern's journey enters new phase

Phew, what a week!!

As of last week, I am now based at the Australia's High Commission in KL where I'll be working with Australian Education International. They are primarily the international arm of the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations and operates to promote Australia's education abroad and develop cultural exchange opportunities through their Internship programme, Endeavour Awards and Student Mobility activities.

My first week has been a blur of activities and adjusting to new security levels and processes. One of my first tasks has been to research Malaysians views on Australia's education system in the blogosphere and online forums. I have also been assessing the potential use of blogs as a method of providing peer support for Australian Interns as well as writing a Pre-departure Guide.

Life at an High Commission has been a real eye opener and one that I'll never forget. It is easy to get caught up in the idea that it is all about attending function after function and that promoting Australia's national interest overseas is just a small side show. However, the staff do really put in the hours to make sure that the tax payers benefit.

Having been here a while now, I am finally feeling that life in Malaysia is starting to make sense. It does take a few weeks to get over from the homesickness but the fun that I am now having and the exposure that I'm receiving to the mechanics of Foreign Affairs makes it all worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment